2010 ..... A Brand New Year
I love New Year. It is a fresh start, a new beginning, and time of reflection. I do not make New Years resolutions, I try to live my life with the fullest of intentions every day.
In the design world we will soon be bombarded with the "Trends for 2010". Personally, I try to stay away from trends. Trends are temporary, short-lived, and do not stand the test of time. I always try to encourage my customers to think long-term, how is that piece of furniture going to look in their home 10 years from now? Thinking long-term in our decision making is probably one of the most "greenest" things we can do. Remember trendy items are destined to yard sales or worse yet landfill.
So Here is my top 10 for 2010, these are the classic design elements that will still be in vogue ten, twenty, thirty years from now.
1. Quality Furnishing ..... antique or modern
2. Beautiful Painted Walls ..... it's not the color the matters it's the professional paint job
3. Velvet .... use it in upholstery or in drapes, it is truly timeless
4. Natural Wood .... floors to furniture to trim work
5. Original Art .... sorry no framed prints
6. Black and White Photography ..... especially if it's your own
7. Lighting .... because we can't see in the dark
8. Energy Saving Appliances .... check out the fridge from SMEG
9. Clutter Free Interiors .... unless you live in an English country cottage
10. Your favorite Chair .... Because everyone should have their very own chair
Wishing you all the very best in the New Year.