Down Under ...... The Basement Suite
We all have been there, apartment hunting in Victoria, and the ad reads above ground suite. You arrive to a dark dungy basement suite, where the only effort to make it liveable has been a fresh coat of paint.
Here are some photos of two basements suites I have been in this year, which show great thought, and care went into these spaces. In both cases the owners mandate was to create a space they would live in. Lone and behold one of the owners did just that, she moved downstairs!
- Both are walk-outs, featuring french doors which adds a ton of light.
- Polished concrete floors are sophisticated and long wearing ( great for a rental),
- No uppers in the kitchen which gives the ceiling the illusion of more height.
- Walls are framed out over the concrete walls making them appear higher.
- Open concept, fewer walls means more light.
- Finishing details, trim, doors, beams, are all top quality.